January 2023

Dear Transitioners

As good as it is to have a break – hope you all had a good one over the Christmas period – it’s also reassuring to get back into harness and meet our Transition friends again. Our Community Fridge with its wonderful volunteers operated throughout (apart from the days the supermarkets were closed) and now Benthyg has reopened – every Friday and Monday from 1pm to 2pm, the next Repair Café will be held on Sunday 15 January from 2pm until 4.30, and our first Seed/Plant Swap will be held on Saturday 25 February, 10am at Bridges.
So yes – seeds, plants, organic vegetables, refurbished tools and more. Please bring along your surplus. You can also get your tools resharpened, and Tools for Self Reliance Cymru is always grateful for donations of unwanted tools for refurbishing – any tools – manual sewing machines are particularly valuable for sending to Africa where they provide a living to a family, but all sewing machines are very welcome and are put to good use. And yes, of course there will be refreshments!

Benthyg continues to expand with new items added regularly to the Library, and we are particularly delighted to announce that Baby Benthyg has been launched. Cloth nappy trial kits are now available – borrow sample kits and see how you get on with them before investing. Toys and other baby kit will be added shortly – keep an eye on the Benthyg Monmouth Facebook page.

But first we have our Members’ Meeting – this coming Tuesday, 10 January at 7.30 via Zoom.
Please come and have your say about our activities:-
Join Zoom Meeting


Meeting ID: 848 8381 4127
Passcode: Transition

We will look forward to seeing you!
Vivien Mitchell

AGENDA:  Transition Monmouth Members’ Meeting – 7.30 on Tuesday 10 January 2023 via Zoom

Apologies for absence
Note taker

Notes of the last meeting (copied below) and matters arising
 Seed/Plant/Tools/Books Swap – Saturday 25 February, 10am at Bridges
 Others
Pollution in the Wye and Usk
Green Spaces:
 Peter Morgan Community Orchard, Redbrook Road
 Monmouth Comprehensive School
 Welsh Government trees
Plastic Free Monmouth
Monmouth Community Fridge
Benthyg Monmouth
Any other business
Date of next meeting

NOTES:  Transition Monmouth Members’ Meeting – 13 December 2022 at 7.30 via Zoom

Present: Bryan Miller, Claudia Blair, Waltraud Engelfield, Vivien Mitchell, Charles Emes, Haydn Cullen-
Jones, Steve Garratt, Mary Boase, Charles Boase, Jem Jenkins-Jones, Martin Sweeney, Angela Jones
Apologies: Kelly Jackson-Graham, Catherine Haynes
Note taker: Vivien Mitchell
Pollution in the Wye and Usk: Continuing the discussion started at our last meeting by Martin Sweeney,
Angela Jones told us about the work that she was doing. 90% is environmental campaigning raising
awareness but she is struggling. In the past 12 months she has given 22 talks, had hundreds of leaflets
printed and distributed, produced artwork for schools and given numerous interviews. On the Usk she has
trained 40 volunteers and paid for the testing kits. It is gratifying to note that NRW has done a U-turn – in
its latest report it acknowledges that poultry units are a major cause of river pollution. However she feels
everyone wants a piece of her, and her business has suffered. She has also spent around £7,500 of her
own money in the past six months on her campaigning.
Bryan asked how we could help her. Steve Garratt said he would talk to Catherine Fookes and Catrin Maby.
Angela undertook to put together a list of her expenditure; TM could then try to apply for funding so she
could continue her work. She said she also needed help with admin; given an appropriate paragraph, we
agreed that we would advertise for her.
It was noted that the Symposium held on 25 November was extremely well attended; there are plans to
continue such discussions
Matters arising from notes of our last meeting:-
Orchard Management Plan: Bryan undertook to get a date from Helena Ronicle for a meeting – action:

ACE Christmas Gathering: Members were encouraged to attend
Peter Morgan Community Orchard: Haydn reported on progress and plans:-
 Conveyancing: Our solicitor is investigating a post on the Land Registry from John Bratton dated 27 October 2022. Graham is chasing his solicitor to find out why he was not informed and what it says. Hopefully this is the final hurdle
 Fencing: The contractor is standing by. He will clear one metre swathe once the final position is agreed
 Peter Crossley has been approached to quote for a shelter as part of an AONB funding bid. This might
also include a bench inserted in the fence
 A meeting with Helena Ronicle, Emma Bryn and Bryan is need to finalise the planting plan and advise
Mark Cleaver (MCC) of delivery date
 A plan of the fence, path, shelter and bench positions needs to be agreed; also location of litter bins,
information boards etc
Overmonnow Primary School: Martin asked members to note that this will be the location for a new
Welsh School
Unwanted WG trees: We have not heard what will happen to these. Action: Vivien to ask Clare Catto
how the scheme works and what is happening to surplus trees. Maybe we need to organise something
Any other business
Bryan has not been able to successfully link in with Joe Skidmore in order to register for the MCC Community
Account but undertook to sort something for the next meeting.
Date of next meeting: Tuesday 10 January 2023 – whatever happened to 2022?